To measure a volume of water, a water flow meter is used in residential buildings and commercials. The water is supplied to offices and homes via a public water supply system. A flow meter is also known to many as a flow sensor. It is a tool or device used to measure mass or volumetric flow rate. Nonlinear or linear of a gas or a liquid. When searching flowmeters, one must consider such abstract factors. Their experience with maintenance and calibration, the familiarity of plant personnel, and history. It is also suggested that the value or cost of the installation be computed.
The water flow meter can also measure the flow rate of fluids or slurries in closed pipes. The flow rate of water is measured in liters or cubic meters (m3). On an electronic or mechanical register. Some water flow meter technologies are open for selection. Depending on the economic terms. Keeping conditions and the water volume usage. Every flow meter type has a novel procedure, total value of use, and distinct use advantages. Water flow meters can also measure cold, hot, clean, dirty water, and slurries. Two common ways are used in water flow meter measurement. The displacement flow meters and velocity.
Flow Measurement Specialists provide services for a total solution. To meet any particular flow measurement application. Whether the application is compressed air, open channel gas, liquid, or water. Steam, river flow, pipe flow measurement, or industrial processes. There are a lot of great flow measurement specialists in the industry. That offers extensive pipe flow support services to many companies. Including energy and chemical providers, environmental regulators, and a lot more. Almost all the customers are aware of the offered service functions and commissioning.
Yet, there are many more specialist services available, such as:
- Effluent flow measurement
- Flow surveys
- Equipment hire and test
- Service contracts
- Calibration services
- Flowmeter sales and rental
Most Common Water Flow Meter Types:
- Turbine Water Flow Meter
- The cheapest and most famous way to measure water flow. A turbine flow meter estimates the speed of the water. Measures the speed of the water running through a pipe with a piston and rotating turbine in it. Usually in paddle wheel designs, shunt, or propeller. The capacity flow rate of the water is equal to the speed of the rotating blades.
- Ultrasonic Water Flow Meter
- Ultrasonic water flow meters use ultrasound to calculate flow. A transit-time ultrasonic meter conveys one signal downstream and another upstream. Then the meter compared travel time for both signals to search the flow velocity. It uses this calculation to look for the volumetric flow rate. You can also measure temperature and energy. Using the differences between the cold and hot legs.
- Electromagnetic Process Flow Meter
- Electromagnetic flow meters are fitted to measure process water flow. Since chunky liquids can clog vortex flow meters or turbines. The process of water dictates the tool you use. Some chemicals may strike your flow meter and lifespan will be shortened.
- Electromagnetic Water Flow Meter
- Electromagnetic water flow meters use Faraday’s law of induction and a magnetic field. Liquid flowing through a magnetic field makes a charge. So when the fluid flows quicker, it produces more voltage, equal to the movement of the water. It also then processes the voltage into the flow rate. Electromagnetic water flow meters don’t have amazing accuracy. You have to know the flow velocity, chemical compatibility. And also the potential abrasion in your application.
Things have to Consider in Choosing the Right Water Flow Meter
- How long the meter is created to last
- The accuracy of the meter
- Maintenance requirements
- The requirements of operation
- Total costs
- The flow rate range that the meter accommodates
With all these factors and information, you should be able to identify which flow meter. That is perfect for you and will suit your needs. It shouldn’t be that hard to select the right one. If accuracy in the flow meter is important for your application. You’ll have to buy a premium and a little bit expensive water flow meter. The length of stay of the device also corresponds to its price.